Care for dependants

If someone is your dependant but they have not been remembered in your will then the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependents) Act 1975 (IPFDA 1975) applies. This allows your dependants to apply to court for a settlement if there isn't one in the will.  This could happen if e.g. you had children in later life but didn't update your will to remember them in it.

The IPFDA 1975 goes into detail about who can claim and when a claim can be made.

The following people can make a IPFDA 1975 claim:

  • Spouse or partner
  • Former spouse or partner
  • A person who has been "living as you spouse or civil partner"
  • Your child (including adopted children)
  • Someone treated as your child (e.g. a stepchild)
  • Someone you financially maintain.

Do what you can to reduce the chance of a legal challenge.  It's important to be fair when in doubt - and explain your rationale in a letter of wishes if needs be.

If you think that despite everything someone may make a claim you should speak with a traditional solicitor.

For your peace of mind

Every will is checked by a fully qualified UK solicitor.

We are members of the Society of Will Writers and follow their code of conduct.

£2m professional liability insurance for your protection.

Members of the Society of Will Writers


Exceptional value

Single Will: £60.00
Pair of Wills: £90.00
Optional printing and postage: from £15

Join 1000's of people who make a will online with us since 2008.

Make a will online using our secure website and get peace of mind in minutes.